DoA Background   
DoA Historical Background 
In 1923 the Department of Antiquities of Jordan was established under the management of Mr. Ridha Tawfeq who relocated it from Jarash to Amman. Law No. 24 for the year 1934 was the first piece of legislation concerning antiquities in Jordan, it was amended by Law No.21 for the year 1988, and later on by Law No.22 for the year 2004.
The main goal of the Department of Antiquities (DoA) at that time was to protect all antiquities defined according to the law as any movable or immovable object made, written, inscribed, built, discovered, or modified by human beings including caves, sculpture, coins, pottery, manuscripts and other kinds of manufactured products which indicate the beginning and development of science, arts, handicrafts, religions, traditions of previous civilizations, or any part added or rebuilt after that time.
 The DoA as independent department has its own budget and director within the Jordanian Government.
 
Since 1923 highly qualified persons administered the department under the title of Director General:
 - Mr. Ridha Tawfiq, 1923 - 1928
- Mr. Tawfiq Abu el-Huda, 1929
- Mr. Ala Edein Toqan, 1931
- Mr. Adeeb al-Kayed, 1933
- Mr. Hisham Kair, 1933 – 1939
- Mr. Lankester Harding, 1939 -1956. He was recognized as one of the leading archaeologists, who wrote about all the major sites in Jordan. His well-known book "The Antiquities of Jordan" is a reference to all those who wish to learn about the archaeology of Jordan. - Dr. Abd el-Kareem Gharaybeh, 1956
- Mr. Saeed al-Durrah, 1956-1959
- Dr. Awni al-Dajani, 1959-1968. He isthe first Ph.D. holder in Archaeology in Jordan.
- Mr. Michael Jmaiaan, 1968
- Mr.Yaacoub Ouais,1968-1971 and 1972-1977
- Mr Mansour al-Bataineh, 1971-1972
- Dr.Adnan al-Hadidi 1977-1989
- Dr. Ghazi Bishah, 1989-1991
- Dr. Safwan al-Tall, 1991-1994
- Dr. Ghazi Bishah, 1994-1999
- Dr. Fawwaz al-Khraysheh, 1999-2010
- Dr. Ziad al-Saad, 2010- 2011
- Mr. Faris al Hmoud 2011- 2013
- Dr. Monther Jamhawi 2013- Until Now